Sunday 23 November 2014

Under Exmouth Skies (Part 12)

UNDER EXMOUTH SKIES (Part 12)


There is something perfectly relaxing about sitting and watching the boats roll back up the Exe at the end of a day, homeward bound to the quay. As the sun begins to set and the colours in the sky start to flare and dissolve, a languid weariness descends from above like a beautifully soft eiderdown being thrown over the world as slowly but surely everything feels right. 
The sea heaves and shifts its mighty weight and the beach is deserted to fall prey to the gulls and the crows seeking scraps and detritus left behind by the tourists.
The boats sound their horns.  The sound of children's laughter fades. The waves lap upon the shore. 
And life becomes dream....

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful writing - I feel I'm there in spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you very much. What a lovely comment to come home to. But did you listen to the song?
      I must start dropping by your own place more often than I do and feedback to you.
      Thank you again. You put a smile on my face.

      Delete
  2. I did listen and indeed, a very appropriate choice.
    I just wanted to say too that I really enjoy all your writing - I find your book reviews especially interesting as I don't read anywhere near as much as I should, so the tasters you give of the books you read are satisfying in themselves and very educational too. (I think I spent about an hour or reading up more about Dresden after I'd seen your Slaughterhouse Five post, which I doubt I would have done otherwise!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ever so much. You're very kind. And you've made me smile again.

      Delete